Choosing the Right Plants
When planning your garden or deciding for what plants to buy and grow, there are so many things to consider and there are such an abundance of plant shapes, colours & sizes that it can become quite difficult to know which plant to pick.
Here at TheGardenShop.ie, we hope to simplify life for you and help you to make the right choice for your tastes & your garden.
When choosing plants the most important considerations are as follows
- Aspect: Is the bed in the sun or shade?
- Soil Condition: Is the soil damp, very dry or is the soil very acidic?
- Site Exposure: Is the site exposed to strong winds or is your garden by the coast?
- Flower Colour: You can mix & match flower colours
- Flowering Period: You can choose plants for year round or just seasonal colour
Below we have categorised all our shrubs, trees, roses, perennials & bulbs into these groups
|BEST PLANTS FOR SPECIFIC CONDITIONS|
|FLOWERING PERIOD||SPRING FLOWERING|
|FLOWERING PERIOD||SUMMER FLOWERING|
|FLOWERING PERIOD||AUTUMN FLOWERING|
|FLOWERING PERIOD||WINTER FLOWERING|
When choosing which plants to plant together you should also consider the following
- Height / Growth Rate: Should you position a plant towards the front, middle or back of your borders?
- Habit / Form / Shape: You can mix & match plant forms for an interesting planting scheme
- Foliage Colour: When plants are not in flower, foliage becomes very important. You can mix & match here also