What Type of Soil do I Have in my Garden
What soil do you have?
There are a number of tests what you can do to determine what type of soil you have. Basic field tests are the most common and they can tell you a lot about your soil. The more time you spend working with different soils the better equipped you will become to identify different soil types.
Take a soil sample, if it is not already wet, wet it. Take to sample and rub it between your fingers and assess the ‘feel’ of the soil.
- Sandy soils feel "gritty"
- Silt soils feel soft, silky or "floury"
- Clay soils feel "sticky" and they are hard to squeeze
Again, take a soil sample in your hand and wet it. Next run the sample against your thumb to create a long ribbon
- Loam Soil: Ribbon is less than 1 inch long
- Clay loam soil: Ribbon is 1 to 2 inches long
- Clay soil: Ribbon is over 2 inches long